Tuesday, January 21, 2003

When it comes to music I am stupid. I don't think I was born with the gene that allows people to remember who sings what and to recognize stuff. Growing up it was mostly classical in my house, plus I took violin lessons for 12 years, yet I still can't tell Mozart from Bach. I only found out today that it's Bob Marley who sings Red Red Wine. Mr. V used to play that song for us in 7th grade and that was the song that made me realize that there was some good stuff out there. After that I started listening to the radio and I tried to start remembering who sang what and what I liked, but most attempts failed. My education on the roots of Rock comprised of Mr. Van's class in 11th grade where we spent half of second semester American History studying the origins of Rock and Roll. I missed the trip to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame because I had a softball game that evening. Mr. Van was not happy about that at all and wouldn't let some of my friends and I make up the trip another day, and instead we had to write a paper about some artist. I think I ended up getting Little Richard, which wasn't my choice. The rest of my knowledge consists of a few fragments a few of my friends, and some Yucks last year at my table, have tried to pass on to me. Anyway, what started this whole post on my lack of musical knowledge is that I was searching for Bob Marley and realized that he sings Don't Worry Be Happy, No Woman No Cry, and some other songs that I really like. I blame my parents for my lack of knowledge and the fact that I'm probably scared for life because of the humiliation I suffer due to the fact that I don't know who sings what. Okay, I'm not that scared.

This all comes down to the fact that I hate being wrong and having people laugh at me. When my friends ask me "who sings this Kate?" I usually don't say anything even though sometimes I have a pretty good guess at who it might be. That's because when I do say something and it's the wrong person or group, the result is that they laugh at me and can't believe that I guessed the person I guessed. I'm hoping that one day I might be able to recognize who sings what, especially when I like the song, but for right now I'll just remain quiet. By the way, I avoid classical music for the most part now because it reminds me of riding back from the library in a car with a headache. Some of it's okay, but right now I prefer Creed and Switchfoot.

No comments:

Post a Comment