Tuesday, January 14, 2003

It's a miracle! Today should be a holiday. I actually talked to Matt on the phone yesterday. I called him, and he was home. It's amazing. At first I thought that perhaps I'd called the wrong number and there just happend to be a Matt living there, but he sounded tired enough to be the Matt I know, so it must have been him. Okay, so I'm being a bit too sarcastic and giving Matt a hard time, but I was happy that I actually was able to talk to him. He pointed out that recently I've been pretty vague in my posts.

Hmvee training this moring was 2.5 hours of pure, unadulterated boredom. Most people fell asleep, but since I ended up sitting in the second row I tried to stay awake. For the most part I just did the sit, stare, and daydream method of staying awake. Usually I'm pretty good at staying awake in lectures when I'm really tired, but I don't remember anything at all. I'm pretty good at blocking stuff out of my mind when I want to.

Last night I probably should've gotten more than 5 hours of sleep. I was up until 1am finishing my journal entry for MS202 that I didn't even start untill 11pm. IM and the phone are bad things to have nearby when you need to get work done.

When the trainers say "don't do anything for a few days," I guess they really mean it and I should listen to them. This afternoon for crew practice we went on a run to Lee Gate, but around the Old PX I decided that I should go actually see the trainers for my feet. They've been doing better, but the pain isn't gone all the way. They gave me a soft shoe, self-pace profile until the 16th, and told me not to do anything. It's something to do with my plantar fascitis. After I left the trainers I decided to go do the monkey bars a few times because I have the IOCT next week. After the third time across my feet were once again killing me because of landing on them and so I limped out of the gym and back to my room. I'm not a big fan of the "soft shoe" part of the profile, or of any profiles for that matter. This is my second one ever, but I still feel like I'm shaming somehow. The good news is that now I'm pretty fast and confident on the monkey bars. Now if I could just get the shelf...

"So kiss me and smile for me. Tell me that you'll wait for me. Hold me like you'll never let me go, Cause I'm leaving on a jetplane..." --aerosmith

Whenever I hear that song I think of the drama club play in 8th grade. That was the final song. Unlike a lot of people, I have only happy memories of HVS. Sure, I was a dork, but I had a great group of friends and still keep in touch with most of them. I wouldn't change anything.