Wednesday, January 01, 2003

Happy New Year. As of right now I have no real new year resolutions. What's the point? Every year I think about thinking about making one or two. You know, the usual work out every day, eat healthier, get straight A's, learn to fly (just kidding), but then I realize that I really don't have the self-discipline to keep them and will just end up feeling bad about it. This year is no different. I just want to be happy, whatever that may entail.

I went over to Teresa's house. It was great. I got to see Mark, Frank, Sair, Bill, Laura, Hannah, Teresa, Jenny, Mike, Ian, Johnny, Gretchen, David, Mara, and tons of other friends and other people I kind of know, plus I got to meet Stephen from Ireland. Teresa made him sing the Lucky Charms song. It was really funny. I was suprised that he actually knew it. We all rang in the new year together by watching the ball drop in Time's Square on TV.

Teresa and I are up to our troublesome self's again. Last time we got together ended up doing stuff to Bill, Becki, and Matt's houses late at night. Matt's was the best with the little green soldiers on his front porch. I don't know who and when were going to get someone this time, but it'll hopefully be in the next few days.

Hmm, what else do I have to say? Oh, today I say Becca L. I was at an intersection and she was turning the corner. It reminded me of elementry school when her, Rachel B, Christi N, and I used to play together all the time. We were great friends as school, but since we lived so far away from each other, in relative terms of a kindergartner which is about a mile and a half but in two seperate neighborhoods divided by a very busy road, we didn't go over to play at each other's houses very often. In fact, I don't think that I ever had Becca over or went over to her house. In my neighbor hood I had Becca , Amy , Liese , Ian , Chris, and Mike to play with. Occasionally there was also Tim, but he was a year younger than me and I was pretty shy about asking him if he wanted to play. I didn't play with the boys that much because, well, they were boys and at that time boys seemed very weird. It was a little different with Ian and Mike before we started going to school. Mike had the coolest cardboard boxes in the basement which he had turned into forts in the truely childhood tradition. It was awesome. Sometimes his mom would pin towels around our necks and we would run around pretending to be superheros. Ian and I were great friends also, actually better friends than Mike and I. When I was little I was sure that I would marry Ian when I was older. We would play house for hours. He was the dad and would go off fishing, dangeling a stick with a piece of string attached off the side of the stairs. I was the mom who would stay at home with the baby and prepare a lunch to bring him. When we were a little older we would pretend we lived on a farm and that our bikes were our horses. Once we all started elementry school we all started to stay away from members of the opposite sex. Amy, Becca, Liese and I had grand times playing toghether, but not all together all at once. At least two people were always mad at each other for some reason. I tried to avoid that as much as possible because I knew that everytime one of them would say "I'm never talking to you again" they'd have forgotten what they were mad about in a matter of minutes and it'd be back to normal. That's why I kind of laughed whenever I heard that. In fact, I don't ever being mad at a friend when I was younger. Well, there was that one time that MarySarah had a birthday party in 5th grade and only invited a few girls in the class, but told everyone all about it.

As much as we thought boys were icky, gross, and weird, none of us was immune from having a childhood crush. At least I wasn't. It was Mike D, the cutest boy in the kindergarten, 1st grade, 2nd grade, and 3rd grade, at least in my opinion. I later found out that I wasn't the only one who had a crush on him. Christy and Amy did also, and probably some other girls did too. After Betsy found out about it she teased me for years. I guess I can't blame her; she is my older sister. After 3rd grade I started going to HVS and didn't see Mike again until Freshman year of high school at Huron. He was just as cute, but of course had gotten very popluar and always had a girlfriend. I also had a huge crush on McCaulley Culkin in 3rd grade. Mike may have been the cutest boy in elemetry school, but McCaulley Culkin was the cutest boy in the United States to me. Thankfully I got over that one relatively fast.

Wow, I wrote a lot tonight and it's getting late. Happy New Year.