Monday, October 21, 2002

Right now I'm in the painfull proccess of writing an essay on whether US lawmakers should obey John Stuart Mill's Harm Principle when they make legislative policies. The stance I'm taking in the essay is that they should not obey the Harm Principle, but I'm finding it hard to come up with reasons why there should be laws against victimless crimes. In the long run most crimes aren't victimless, but how do I prove that? Maybe I'm on the totaly wrong track and should try and formulate this argument differently, but I can't seem to figure out how. I've been working on this for a few days and it's due tomorrow. I'll figure out something, but it may take a while.

This weekend was a lot of fun. We stayed at Franny's house which was really cool. Her Mom did an awesome job decorating it. The also had an indoor pool and so Tia and I went swimming in gym-A on Saturday evening. Our main source of entertainment was trying to throw balls at each other and see who could hit the other person the most. Saturday was spent hanging out around MIT and spending time in their boat house. The race went pretty well. Army came in 9th out of 36 boats, but they had a really strong head wind to row against that the teams that won didn't have, so that caused them to have a slower time.

I tried to work on homework as much as possible because this week is looks like another Thayer Week. In fact, I kind of wanted to stay back at the house Saturday and do homework, but then I realized that although that would be helpfull academically, I needed to do something else. Sad to say, but I kind of had to force myself to go out. One of my friends on the team said that she had a friend who goes to Boston U. who she was going to meet up with that night and that some of the other girls were coming along and they were all probably going to go jean shopping. I decided to go out with them and we procceded to make many wrong turns in our way into Boston. It was a fun night, but made me think a lot. At one point there was a heated argument between some of my friends and a few college guys about war and the military. Everyone was shouting out their opinion and at one point I wanted to add in, but realized it'd be pointless because nobody was really listening to the other person and they were all just yelling out what they thought. After we left we were talking about it and the main thing we were so mad about was the fact that we fight for their freedom to critisize the US and the military and that they don't appreciate it. It just comes with the life, but it's not easy to accept.

No comments:

Post a Comment