Thursday, August 28, 2003

This evening I gained a newfound respect for someone I know. He was able to do what many people cannot do, and by doing so he has become that much of a better person in my eyes.

This may sound really old fashioned, but after reading the two books by Joshua Harris, I Kissed Dating Goodbye and Boy Meets Girl, I really liked the idea and have read both books over again many times. A lot of relationships today seemed to be based on doing what feels good at the moment. I want a relationship that has a purpose and also has God, family, and friends involved. Have I done that in the past? Truthfully, no, but I've come to realize that I won't be happy with anything less. Anyway, I'd suggest the books to anyone who is interested. They are both really good and made me think about a lot of things. I don't think it's a good idea to start a relationship with someone you don't know, but instead it's better to become good friends first and see where it goes from there. In the past that is how I got some of my closest guy friends. We would like each other, but decide to be just friends. Over time we would get to know each other really well and become pretty close, but also find that we were not right for each other. By doing it that way we saved ourselves from a lot of pain and hurt. It's not an easy thing to decide to do, just be friends, but I think I like it best in the long run. I just hope that someday I'll find the right person.

This morning I had a good conversation with my dad on the phone when I called to tell him about an analogy I'd thought of. I wanted to get his opinion on it. He said it was a pretty good one. Perhaps I'll write it down later so I don't forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment