Thursday, May 23, 2002

I grew up in a very charismatic family, Church and community and always took it for granted. When I was 2nd or 3rd grade I received the gift of tongues. It was never weird to me because I grew up surrounded by Spiritual gifts in action. I'd heard that many Lutheran Churches stayed away from them, but I never thought a lot about it. It wasn't until the sermon at Church this past Sunday when I realized that most people don't have any experience with them. To me it's comforting to speech in Tongues, pray over people and be prayed over, and observe the other gifts of the Holy Spirit, but to a lot of people it's weird. I remember when my dad prayed over Steph and later she told me she felt like it was something out of the Exorcist. I didn't know what to say. It's sad, but I had my group of friends whom I could discuss God and Christianity with and then I had those who I didn't because it was uncomfortable. Here I hardly ever talk about my faith with anyone.

I used to want to be a missionary. It was that or a soldier. Now, I'm a soldier. It's possible to be both. I used to talk to my Uncle Jeff about it. He's the one who actually got me thinking about West Point in 8th or 9th grade. My biggest problem is stepping out of my comfort zone. I'd rather stay right where I am, where it's safe and comfortable.

No comments:

Post a Comment