Wednesday, September 10, 2003

This morning I woke up and was the best mood that a person can possibly been in at 5:05 am. On the way down to practice I was talking to one of my good friends and she told me that she had to talk to me and that I wouldn't be very happy with her about what she had to say. I had no idea what she could've been talking about. Later I found out and I must say that her decision will have to effect on how I think of her and our friendship. As long as she is happy, then I am happy.

At practice Coach Holland had Anne, Beth, Annah, and I in the quad. Practice was going really well, the water was flat, we were keeping up with the eight (which was actually a seven today), and we were rowing pretty well together. Then Coach had both boats do a drill where you start at the finish and then go arms away, pause, add the back, pause, and then slowly go up to the catch. Not a new drill by any means, but he had us do it all four together in the quad. When he said we were rowing all four together for it I had a bad feeling, but ignored it and figured everything would be okay. As we went up to the catch the boat started leaning to starboard and didn't stop untill we had completly flipped. As I went under I reached down to grab the string that is supposed to be between the shoes so that you can just pull on it and it undoes the velcroe. I'd forgotten that my seat didn't have that string between the shoes and so when I grabbed at it all I got was water. By that time I was basically strapped in the boat hanging upsidedown underwater. After realizeing the missing string I undid the velcroe by hand and managed to swim out from under the boat to the surface. I doubt I was under for more than 5-10 seconds, but everyone else in the boat had come to the top right away and when they started counting they realized that there were only 3 of them and that I was missing everybody started to get worried. We all were okay, the boat was fine and didnt' have any damage to it, and amazingly all of our sandles and water bottles were recovered. The water was also a lot wamer than it was last march when we swamped.

No comments:

Post a Comment