Sunday, June 09, 2002

Things have definitly changed. Am I the one who's different, are my friends the ones who are different, or are we all just different?

Friday afternoon I met up with Jen and Christy, my two roommates from NYLF and we hung out in downtown. Jen goes to UM and Christy goes to the Naval Academy. I see them maybe once or twice a year, but it's suprising how comfertable I feel with them now compared to a lot of my best friends from high school. Christy and I talked a lot about our lives at the academys and explained stuff to Jen and she gave us a tour of UM's campus. Funny, I've lived there my whole life, but she knew a ton more stuff then I did. She took us to the most beautiful spot on campus, I think. It's right by where the law students live in this courtyard type area. The beauty of it almost made me wish that I went to school there. I had a great time hanging out with them. We went to AMERS for lunch and then to Starbucks for some frappacinos. I got Ez into those while we were in NYC. After that we stopped by Harry's Army Surplus store so that I could check out their Jungle Boots. It really is a fake army store. I was not impressed at all. We then had to hurry back to our cars to put more money in the meters. Mine had run out, but I guess I still had some time left when the meter maid came around because the car in front of me got a ticket but I didn't. It was then that Jen took us to the courtyard and we sat and talked for over an hour. At 6 I had to go because Heidi invited me to a UCO party that evening. It was great spending time with them again. Hopefully Christy and I will meet up just as we did this last year at the Army-Navy football game. Go Army!

The UCO party was interesting. Heidi had her hair cut really short that afternoon and suprised everyone there with it. I didn't know most of the people, but a lot of them knew who I was from stories they'd heard from my family. The grenade throwing one was popular. I'd forgotten about it untill Steph brought it up on Sunday. I guess people here like hearing about me throwing grenades. That was pretty weird. Since I didn't know very many people, maybe one other person besides my sister, I was pretty quiet the whole time. That's what I do to get to know people and what they're like. I also don't know what to say and don't want to sound like a total idiot.

The Michigan West Point Parent's Club picnic was this mornign and so my parents and I attended. It was great to be the person giving the advice instead of getting it. Molly didn't show up, but Chris, Kelly, Greenberg, and other people I knew from my class went. The picnic lasted a lot longer this year and by the end all of us were ready to leave. After the picnic I went to the big soccer tournament that Heidi told me about. Sarah and Hannah were there and so I talked to them a bit. It was nice to see them, but we kinda ran out of things to say after a while. I didn't stick around for the bbq because I felt like I'd just be tagging along behind somebody. I recognized a fair amount of people there, but I didn't really know them. There wasn't the feeling I usually get when I fit in somewhere. The whole thing actually made me miss West Point.