Tuesday, April 22, 2003

Why do things have to change? Is the first year of a sport always the best? The freshman softball team in high school was by far the best year, even though I was on varisty the other three years. We all bonded and had an awesome season. It's a bit early to say it about crew, but right now it looks like novie year may be the best year. There are a bunch of girls thinking about leaving the team next year to do other sports such as lacrosse and rugby. I have to admit that I'm not 100% sure that I'll stick with crew instead of trying a new sport next year. A few weeks ago Coach Holland came up to me and asked me if I was going to come back next year. I said I was pretty sure I would and he said that he wasn't looking for a definite answer right then, but he told me wanted me on the team. Last week he made sure to tell Molly and I that we didn't have to worry about making the team next year, and that went for all current varsity rowers. I guess that makes me ask myself why I row. Do I do it for the love of the sport, for my friends on the team, for the excercise, because I don't want to drill, or some other reason? I wasn't a big fan of the sport in high school and only did it in the fall to stay in shape for softball in the spring. When I visited West Point in the spring of my senior year I went down to crew practice and rode in the launch. I swore to myself that I'd never do crew here because I remembered not liking it very much. Occasionally, however, I would drive past the Huron River back home and acutally think about rowing and actually miss it. Plebe year Jasmin decided to try out to be a coxswain on the crew team. I went along to tryouts just because she was going. Once there I suddenly felt like I fit in and belonged. I prayed that I'd make the team, and was so happy when I did. Why does it feel like things are changing now? Coach Hall is leaving after this year to go work at the Pentagon, Larissa and Anne probably will go due rugby, lacrosse may get Leah, she was All American in high school, Molly is going to Air Force for a semester and Meghan is going to Navy. Why do things have to change?

No comments:

Post a Comment