Sunday, April 06, 2003

I know it's childish, but I still have that dream that a guy would come along and be like prince charming, or a knight in shining armor, fight some battle for me, and then sweep me off my feet. Too bad that only happens in fairy tales. This past summer my dad recommend that I read the book Wild At Heart by John Eldredge. It's mostly for men, but he suggested I read it because the profession I'm in means that there is a very high likelyhood that I'll be in charge of many men and he thought this might help me understand them a little more. I like the book so much that I actually gave a copy of it to my friend Frank, and he liked it so much that his whole family read it. Although I've read it a few times now, when I do read it I still try and hide that I'm reading it. A lot of people would laugh at it.

The first paragraph of the back cover states: "Every man was once a boy. And every little boy has big dreams: dreams of being the hero, of beating the bad guys, of doing daring feats and rescuing the damsel in distress. Every little girl has dreams, too: of being rescued by her price and swept up into a great adventure, knowing that she is the beauty." I may be a M16 fireing, ruck march marching, torn-up hands rower, who's in a uniform practically 24 hours a day, but inside I'm still that little girl wanting to be seen as a beauty worth fighting for.

Sometimes I think most guys are tired of trying to win girls. I'm not saying that I want to be some helpless girl that shrieks over a broken nail. Combatives happens to be my favorite class and for once in my life I am not scared about trying to go all out. I enjoy grappeling a ton and become very competitive. Perhaps I just haven't found the right guy and perhaps I haven't done my part either. Back in middle school I actually came across the book The Rules and, not knowing what it was, I read it. I don't really remember much about it, but I've probably broken just about every single rule. No, I'm not saying that I think the book was good and actually should be followed, I'm just trying to make the point that I'm not used to being patient and waiting for things to happen. I become impatient and try and get things moving along or whatever and usually end up messing everything up. I don't always want to be the one who always goes to visit the other person, is the one who calls, who starts the conversations, asks the person out, etc.

On a totally different subject, Army Crew did an awesome job today. My boat won both our races. The other varsity boat won both their races. The guys won all their races at MIT.

No comments:

Post a Comment