Monday, March 31, 2003

If I could be anywhere right now I'd be in the wilderness camping. It'd be in a mountainous, or at least hilly region. That way I could hike up to the top of a tall hill and look at the view. Perhaps I'd bring a good friend along, but right now I'm not sure. It'd be kinda nice to get away from everything for a little while and forget about the outside world. The only think to concentrate on would be survival. None of the small day to day pressures that cloud life. I'm not sure which part of the country I'd go to because right now a few parts look appealing. I really don't care where. I just want to be beautifull, secluded, and have some great views. My favorite part of this last summer was standing on top of a hill overlooking a valley and watching the sun set.

I used to do a small version of it when I was younger. There was a big overgrown field by my house and I'd go and hike through it for hours. It was large enough that in some places it seemed like it was the middle of nowwhere, but small enough that if I walked in any direction for more than 20 min I'd run into a major road or neighborhood. It was as good as I could get at the time. I loved doing that, being on my own, exploring, thinking, relaxing, seeing where nature lead me. I never got bored, but it usually wasn't enough. I didn't want a field, I wanted the real woods.

Right now I guess I want to get away from everything and recharge. Spring break didn't do it for me. Most breaks don't because there's the feeling that since I'm away from school I need to cram everything I want to do into that time that I have so that I don't miss out.

As a kid I loved books on people surviving in the wilderness. Books like Sign of the Beaver, Island of the Blue Dolphins, My Side of the Mountain, the first Box Car Children's book, the Little House on the Prarie books, etc.

Oh well, my wilderness adventure isn't going to happen anytime soon. Now I'm off to practice and then back to study for my Thayer day tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment