Monday, June 14, 2004

This weekend turned out pretty well. A downpayment was put down on a car, I went to a BBQ, I went to Church, and I made some friends. The BBQ was held by the West Point Parents Club around here. I got there pretty late, but still had a chance to talk to some old grads who have decided to write to the Comm about the living situation the cadets are in here at Fort Bragg. I'm not complaining about that.

I'd say today was the highlight of the week. I found an LCMS Church online that is in Fayetteville, so I decided to go there this morning. It took me much longer that it should have to get there because I made a lot of wrong turns. Perhaps later I'll write about a lesson I've been learning. Anyway, it was really nice to go to Church again, because I haven't been in a few weeks. After the service I noticed one of the ushers was wearing a sports jacket with a West Point crest on it plus a ring, so I asked him what class he was. It turns out he was class of '55. We talked for a few minutes, and I felt much better about having found some little connection at the Church.

Later in the day I realized that I'd forgotten to turn my cell phone back on after church, and so when I turned it on I had a message from Anthea. I'd talked to her on Saturday and we'd discussed how both of us didn't really know anybody else on CTLT, and so life was pretty boring. It turns out her ex-boyfriend, who she is still really good friends with, is at bragg for CTLT and also happens to be rather bored. She called and left me his cell phone number and told me to call him if I was ever bored and wanted to go out. About 15 minutes later I got a phone call, and it was the guy, John. Anthea had given him my number as well, and so he decided to call me. We ended up going and seeing Troy, although John had already seen it once. He's a very nice guy, and it sure beat another night sitting in my room. He's staying at his sponser's house which is closer to post, and so I met his sponser as well. They invited me to go over to their house anytime, and also invited me to go bowling with them on Tuesday, and also to do stuff on Friday. It's so nice to finally have people to do stuff with here.

No comments:

Post a Comment