Sunday, June 20, 2004

This past week has been fun. I did the 10-mile race on Thursday and managed to run the whole way, although the last few miles were extremely slow, I spent a ton of time with John, Matt, and Julia, and spent hardly any time sitting bored in my hotel room. Matt took John and I to the special forces museum and the 82nd Airborne museum on Friday. On Saturday we went to General Jackson's, which is an awesome store, and they helped me pick out my first knife. I say first because although I have had Swiss Army Knives, and Gerber multi-tool things, this is my first good, single blade, no tools attached, knife. Hmm, I guess that would sound a little strange to anyone who isn't in the military or know anything about it. Knives are very useful, especially out in the field, for cutting rope, opening MRE's, whitteling wood during bored briefings, and flipping open and shut just for fun. Anyway, I ended up with a Spyderco knife, becuase John said some of his friends had them and they didn't have to sharpen them for 2 years. I've gotten a lot better at opening and closing it single handed. Don't worry Mom, I'm being safe.

This coming week the Battalion Commander is switching me to a Rigger unit so that I can experiance a wider range of what the Quartermaster Corps has to offer. I'm both glad and not so glad. I was getting used to the fact that there wasn't much to do before, and now I don't know what to expect. I also have to adjust to a new company. In any case, it should be a good experiance.

I'm looking forward to getting home and having some time with my family. Happy Fathers Day Dad :)

No comments:

Post a Comment