Saturday, October 15, 2005

Dining-In

Last night my class had our dining-in.

The dining-in is a formal dinner for members of a military organization or unit. It provides an occasion for officers to meet socially at a formal military function. The
purpose of a dining-in is to recognize individual and/or unit achievements or any events
that are effective in building and maintaining esprit de corps to include saying farewell to
departing officers and welcoming new ones. A dining-in may also be held to honor one or
more distinguished visitors. It is important to emphasize that a dining-in should be
viewed as a manifestation of association rather than a mandatory formation for all parties.
http://www.usma.edu/Protocol/images/DiningInOutGUIDE.pdf

One of the highlights of the dining-in is the presentation of "points of order", or calling people out for certain infractions of rules or embarrasing moments. There is a whole process that is entailed with bringing up a point of order and then the President of the Mess, who happened to be the company commander, would decide if the punishment suggested was appropriate. There were usually props invovled, such as tricycles, remote control cars, or sugar cookies. The person whom the "point of order" is about also is made to report to the grog bowl.

The grog bowl is a bowl, or toilet in our case, that is filled with different substances that each have a specific meaning. We had an Alpha grog which was a mixture of many different kinds of alcohol and very little else, and a Bravo grog that was non-alcoholic.

I didn't want to drink and so I was designated a DD. However, earlier in the afternoon when I saw what was going into the Bravo grog I almost wanted to drink because the Bravo grog was disgusting. I talked to the grog-master about the fact that the DDs had no choice which grog to drink from, but he didn't care. It worried me so much that I prayed that either the bravo grog would get changed, or that it would somehow end up being palatable. After the Bravo grog was was made and Mr. Vice almost threw-up after only tasting a small sip, the Company Commander quitely ordered that it be changed. The grog-master wasn't too happy that his bravo grog was going to be replaced with ice-tea, but I was rejoicing.

I was sent to the grog once, but it was not really as a punishment. Rachel brought up a Point of Order against John and I about our Iron chef competition, even though she participates in it as well. John and I had to report to the head table and had 10 seconds compete and see who could best decorate sugar cookies. I made two smiley face once and made it half-way through decorating a third one in 10 seconds. John made one smiley face, which looked more like a mess of lines, and one military symbol sugar cookies. The President of the Mess deemed the competition a tie, as she did all competitions throughout the night, and sent us both the grog.

The dining-in was fun, but it reaffirmed some of the reasons I only drink under certain circumstances which happen very rarely. I was asked a few times by different people if I do drink, why I don't drink except on rare occasions, and other such questions. Some people were satisfied with a simple answer, and others wanted the full answer, which I am still formulating, but in either case I was happy to answer.

On a side note, this afternoon at 4pm I'm doing the 15.6 mile GAFPB ruck march with a few of my classmates. Posted by Picasa

1 comment: