Friday, September 03, 2004

Today was another normal day here. I got up at 5 for practice, after which I changed into AFC and grabbed a quick breakfast down at the boathouse, followed by class from 7:35-11. I miss being able to sleep in until 6:10 and making it to breakfast formation and breakfast in the mess hall. First hour on morning practice days kills me, so I've taken up drinking a little coffee before class starts in hopes of staying awake.

My CS401 class is double blocked and today my instructor let us out of the second hour of the class early, so I headed over to MAJ Burrow's office to discuss the crew website, which I am in charge of this year. My coach was also over there, since they are both EECS instructors, so we talked a bit about how practice went this morning. It looks like we probably will have a strong four this year.

After the meeting with MAJ Burrow I stopped by the bookstore and ended up buying a book. By that time it was time for lunch formation, so I headed back to the barracks, dropped by books off in my room and grabbed my saber and gloves. Then I headed down to formation, followed by lunch. I've been the table comm the past few day's because Alyson has been on quarters after her lasec eye surgery. The plebes at the table are getting better at duties, and learning that a way to avoid being hazed by the upperclassmen is to grab extra fruit, milks, and desserts. They've also been really good about supplying the table with Simpson's trivia and other random facts.

Lunch was followed by an hour of free time in my room where I read the NY Times and grabbed a quick nap. I had to head to golf class at 1:40, and once again had to face the fact that I am no Tiger Woods. From there I went to rehab for my shoulders. Next week I have a follow-up appointment to see if any progress has been made, although I can't tell any difference.

Anne and I were going to go running at 3:30 and then head down to the boathouse, but around 3:25 I heard two sharps knocks on my door. It was my TAC at the door looking to talk to Alyson, but since she was in bed trying to hide from light he grabbed me instead. I had to come up with a plan for him of how to make sure all the firsties had gone to the uniform show, and gather up any stranglers and send them down there in the next 30 minutes. There went my run with Anne. Alyson already had a semi-complete list of who had gone, and so there were only about seven people I had to go check on. I went on Monday and spent $1200 on my real Army uniforms. I was only half joking when I asked my dad if my birthday and Christmas presents this year could be helping me out with paying for the uniforms.

Once I'd accomplished the task of sending the stranglers down to the uniform show I headed down to the boathouse. Originally I was supposed to help out with the novies, but it turned out that I didn't have to today, so instead I had to help install the rest of the launching dock.

After the dock was in I went back to my room, showered, and got ready for dinner formation. Originally it was supposed to be a spirit dinner with a Go Army theme, but that was canceled at the last minute. Instead we had to sport the usual white-over-grey.

Thursday night dinners are usually a little more chill than the other meals, but today it started out almost like a normal meal. One of the plebes was jacked up and had forgotten to put his name tag on his uniform. They also were not paying attention to detail, and were reciting the meals wrong. They were reciting what was on the menu, but the food that was in front of us was different than what was on the menu, and they hadn't made the change, so we got on them for that. Plus, they didn't know the definition of leather, how many lights there are in Cullum Hall, or how many gallons of water are in Lusk Reservoir. After they finished their duties it calmed down a bit. For the Thursday dinner entertainment they sang us the Lumberjack Song and then had the usual Simpson's trivia ready.

After dinner all of the firsties had to meet outside Mac so James could drive us up to the lots and do POV inspections.

Following the POV inspections I went back to my room and started my hw. At 9 I had a quick meeting with my IT305 project partners to discuss the layout of our web portal that is due next week. Now I have to go shine my boots for tomorrow, because it is a Friday, and Friday's mean BDU's :) I'm hoping to get to bed early, around 11, tonight because I have morning pratice again tomorrow. Last night was the first night this week I got more than 5 hours of sleep, and I'd like to repeat that experiance.

No comments:

Post a Comment