Friday, March 05, 2004

MS = Maximum Suckfest

Military Science class is the bane of most cadets here. Yes, we do go to a military academy, but that does not mean that we were granted with some gift of knowledge and suddenly able to spit out perfect Warning Orders and OPORDs with barley any teaching. MS is where the Thayer method is most implemented, but in the worst way possible. Their teaching method is to give us a homework assignment, one very vague reference, and then fail us after we don't meet their detailed grading criteria. No joking, I'm pretty sure that more than half the Corps has a C or below in the class, and probably 25% are at a D or F. It is only after we fail that we find out what they were looking for, and what we were miraculously supposed to have known without any teaching on the subject or any real way to find out what they wanted. Somehow tonight I have to come up with the perfect concept of operation and scheme of manuever for a tank platoon defending against an enemy motorized rifle company. I have absolutily no training on tank platoons, and so therefore have no clue how to write a very detailed description on how I plan to destroy the enemy. I'll do my best, but until an hour ago I didn't even know the organization of a tank platoon. Hopefully, after failing the WARNO and only then being told how to write one, I won't do as bad on the Situatin and Mission.

To top it all off, the class is only worth 0.5 credits. However, it does play a very significant part in your class rank when everything works out. But seriosly, I've been working on the OPORD I have due tomorrow for 3 hours, and I still have a long way to go, and it's only worth 50 points. AUGH!

No comments:

Post a Comment