Tuesday, January 16, 2007

MLK Weekend

This weekend was a bit more productive than last weekend even though it rained three out of the four days. The weekend started with us having a fire in the fireplace and reading by the light of the fire and candle light while occasionally discussing what it must have been like to live back when those were the only methods by which to produce light at night. It was very relaxing.

On Friday, Andrea and I drove Austin to visit the Bicycle Sport Shop there, making it my third trip in one week. I had an appointment for my bike fitting and she ended up purchasing a mountain bike. Later that day, during a break in the rain, we went out for a 10 mile bike ride.

Saturday was not a very productive day at all. We were hoping to go for another bike ride, but it did not stop raining all day. I can't remember if either of us actually left the apartment. Oh wait, we made a trip out to go to target, Wal-Mart, and Circuit City. In the evening I made some gingerbread cookies.

On Sunday I, surprisingly, attended Temple Bible Church for a second time. I liked the service a lot better this week, most likely because last week there was a guest speaker. After Church I made some chocolate-caramel brownies to send to Rachel and Jordan along with the gingerbread cookies.

This morning I woke up and, for the first time in three days, did not hear any rain. When I looked outside the first time I did not have my contacts in and so it looked completely dry. Once I put in my contacts and looked again I saw that in fact everything was covered in a coat of ice. I guess there was an ice storm last night. Instead of going for a run, which was what I was originally planning to do when I woke up, I instead made whole-wheat pancakes for breakfast. Later on I did go for just short of a 6-mile run because the ground was quite dry, it was just the trees and parked cars that were covered in ice. I was planning on having a lazy evening at home, but one of my company-mates from West Point, Phil, unexpectedly contacted me and wanted to hang out. We planned to meet at Starbucks, but got there and found it closed, so instead we went back to his place and caught each other up on our lives over the past 18 months. I was very surprised at some of the similarities in our lives. We probably could've talked for a few more hours, but instead I said goodbye after two hours so that I could get back and make some chocolate-caramel brownies to bring in to work tomorrow.

Having two of my former company-mates, first Chris over leave, and then Phil today, contact me out of the blue was a pleasant surprise. I hadn't seen either of them since graduation and I really enjoyed being able to spend time with both of them again. Phil was my platoon sergeant when I was a platoon leader firstie year and Chris as a squad leader in our platoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment