Friday, January 05, 2007

Back from Michigan and Running Again

   As you can probably tell by the lack of posts over the last couple of months, I haven't felt much like writing recently. Yesterday I returned to Texas after some much needed and greatly enjoyed time to relax in Michigan with family and friends. I was going to sign in and then go in to work today, but I talked with my friend Jordan on the phone and she convinced me to wait a few more days. Truth be told, I was concidering not signing in right away even before I talked to her. In any case, I did not sign in yesterday. My plan was to take today off to sleep in and then go down to Austin to shop for a triathlon bike. Unfortunatly, laziness go the best of me and I am putting off the trip until this weekend. After sleeping in until aroun 9:30 am, whereupon Jordan called me to discuss upcoming dinner plans with her and her husband, I headed onto Fort Hood to go to the pool and swim for a bit. When I got to the pool I found that it is closed until further notice due to some sort of trouble with the water heater. I hope that whatever failed is fixed soon because not having a pool to swim in will greatly hinder preperation for the sprint triathlon. Since running was my only other training option, and I had been thinking about going for a run after my swim anyway, I drove back to my apartment and went for a run.
   Today's run was a little over 7 miles broken up into 8 min run segements followed by one minute of walking. I don't know why, but my runs in Texas seem harder and slower than my runs in both Iraq and in Michigan. I usually save the fartlek runs for the days when I am not very motivated to run because it makes the time go by faster for me. Today I felt like I never got into the running groove. The good news is that ever since I bought I bought a new pair of running shoes I have not had any pain or discomfort in my ankle. My knees have been a bit sore, especially today, but I think that is due to my running slower and also most likely having gained a few pounds over the holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment