Wednesday, July 06, 2005

It's only 9:51 pm, but I am falling asleep. Today was the day we had to report for OBC, but that wasn't until 1pm. Rachel, Lauren, and I spent the morning l going to the transpo office to arrange the delivery of our boxes, going to the post office to get PO boxes, dropping BDU's off at the cleaners to get startched, going to the uniform store to get patches for the BDU's, going back to the cleaners to have the patch sewn on the BDU's, and driving around figuring out where stuff is around here.

It turns out my TAC officer isn't the one who we thought it would be, which is very nice. The Tac seems like he'll push us, but not kill us, and I expect to graduate from here feeling much more prepared for what's ahead.

This evening Rachel, Lauren, and I ran a 2 mile loop. I ran it yetsterday morning and then again in the evening with Rachel. Each time I am able to push myself a little more. I've decided to try and come up with one reason to give thanks after each run. Today I came up with two. A little more than half way through the run Rachel and Lauren were getting a bit ahead of me and I was very tempted to give up and fall back, but instead I was able to push through the mental barrier and catch back up and run with them the rest of the way, even up the hills. Then in the final stretch, which is downhill, my lungs were burning and I felt like collapsing right there, but I lengthened my stride because I wanted to end the run as soon as possible and I pulled out ahead at the very end. I really want to break through this mental barrier and be able to push myself each time, but it's so hard when my whole body is telling my to give up. There is a sign on the run route that states the elevation is 5090ft. I think I'll come away being a much better runner. Right now I'm slow and running even 2 miles here is a mental and physical battle, but that means I only have room to improve. In the past, especially in formation runs, I've given in to the mental battle, but this time I want to try and push myself and give it everything I have each and every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment