Monday, July 18, 2005

Here's a recap of my weekend:

On Friday evening Rachel, Vivian, Natalie, and I went and saw Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. It's a weird movie, but I guess that is to be expected. After the movie we went to Applebee's to get some food. Just as we were finishing our food more people from our class showed up. Natalie decided to stay at Applebee's, but Rachel, Vivian, and I decided to head home because we were getting up early the next morning (for a saturday) in order to earn volunteer hours. The next morning we went to Sisler Hall and helped put together some map overlays that our class needs for next week. Since we finished the job around noon, the major in charge was nice and bought everyone there pizza. After that I went back to my room and read, tried to sleep, and watched tv for a few hours. Around 6 Rachel, Ryan, and I headed over to Troy's house where he and his wife were hosting a party for our class. Almost all of the class came to the party.

I left the party feeling like a very anti-social person. Although I knew the people there, as in we are in the same class, it was like I didn't know how to interact and talk in group settings. I felt so out of place.

The next morning I got up somewhat early again so that I could check out a Lutheran Church in town. I really enjoyed the service and plan on going again next week. I also went to the protestant service on post with Rachel.

Why can't I feel as comfertable as I do in Church and Christian setttings where I don't know anybody at all and the people are much older than me, in other settings with my peers in groups who I may even kind of know?

When I was home I seriously considered starting attending St. Lukes, not because I didn't like C&R, but because the people there knew me, or knew of me already, and it was like stepping back into the person I was in high school. I don't know how to describe it. I guess the best way is that I've gotten more used to not being around anyone who knows my family, besides my talking of them, and so I am my own person. When I go home I am known more commonly as my parent's daughter, or as Heidi or Betsy's sister, and for some reason that makes me less at ease talking to people. It's not a bad thing at all being know as that, but I don't feel like my own person. That wasn't at all what I was dealing with last night, but I just thought of it.

I was so frustrated when I got home last night, and I wanted to talk to someone in my family, or one of my friends about it, but I couldn't get ahold of anybody.

No comments:

Post a Comment