Friday, November 19, 2004

Yesterday as I was waiting at Mac Statue for Mrs. D to pick me up for our weekly Bible study a car drove around the corner and I saw a red one star license plate on the front of it. My first thought was to turn and duck inside, but not wanting to seem cowardly, and not wanting to keep Mrs D waiting when she showed up, I stayed where I was on the sidewalk. Military etiquette states that we're supposed to salute the vehicales with General's flags on them, so I saluted the car, but felt like I looked rather stupid out there all alone saluting a car. I was hoping the car would drive right on by to the Supe's house without stopping, but it of course stopped right in front of me. Not sure if my first salute had counted, I saluted again. Then the General's aid, a Major, got out of the car, so I saluted him. Finally the Brigadere General stepped out of the car, so I then saluted him. I was very relieved once they walked away and the car drove off.

Then this morning after I recieved my polio shot I decided to go to Grant to get some hot chocolate to drink. As I was walking down the sidewalk I saw the General and the Major headed my direction. Once again I hoped that either I'd be inside Grant before they passed, or that they would pass right on by and I could salute and greet and be over with the interation. Of course, it didn't work out that way. Right as I reached Grant they turned to walk up to Grant as well. I saluted and greeted, but instead of saying "Good Morning gentlemen," it came out "Good Afternoon, gentlemen." The time was 8:45 am. The general asked me if Grant was open, and I told him I thought so, and opened the door. I think I was supposed to open the door for both of them and let them pass through first, but I opened the door and the Major then held it while I walked through and then the General. There wasn't any room to move to the side to let him through first. I hope it wasn't too much of a military etiquette blunder.

I really hope that was my last encounter with him. I don't know who it was, and was too busy trying not to make a fool of myself to look at his nametape (I failed in the not looking like a fool part.) I'll be happy if Generals stay out of my vicinity for awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment