Monday, October 06, 2003

Last night I got 10 hours of sleep. I don't remember the last time I got that much sleep. On Thursday I was planning to go to bed around midnight, but then I started working on my lab report for EE and realized that it required more than I thought. I also started talking to Amanda on IM, and then later Anne, Annah, Leah, and Matt and ended up getting only 2 hours of sleep. Friday I spent in a daze trying to make it through the day. In the evening Leah, Celio, Amanda, Heather, Brian, and I went over to the Schumacher's house. We had taco's for dinner and then roasted marshmellows over a fire in the backyard and made s'mores. After that we headed back inside and Amanda and Brian started wrestling in the family room. Brian took her down really easily each time, and then Celio joined in. Brian and Celio would gang up against Amanda, and the Schumacher's little boys would jump on everybody. I really wanted to join in, but won't unless someone attacks me first. Celio kept looking at me and shaking his head no, which really confused me because I couldn't figure out why he was keeping me out of it. Eventually they all stopped fighting and then Celio attacked me. I had no idea how I would fair against him since he wrestled in high school, but I did okay. He liked to try and go for the chokes, but I managed to avoid those pretty well. At one point I actually had him just about pinned, and he of course had me just about pinned a few times, but we both managed to escape those and keep on fighting. In the end I lost because I didn't have the endurace. MAJ Schumacher is a little worried about my shoulder and he said he was suprised that it hadn't popped out. He doesn't like it when I pop in in and out. I've been able to do that since 5th grade and it isn't a big deal to me most of the time, although occasionally it interferes when I'm doing push-ups, sculling, or holding my arms out.

On Friday at the Schumacher's Celio told me that I was becoming more violent. I'm not sure if that's true or not, but it bothered me in anycase. I talked to Annah about it and she said that it's probably because I'm frustrated and need a way to get out my frustration. She said that her and Anne are the same way. I think she's right about me just being really frustrated recently. Plebe year I used to dread coming back to West Point, but that went away last year. However, that feeling has returned this year. I really didn't want to come back from the trip this weekend. School means lots of stress, little sleep, and no free time.

On Saturday I left for Lowell, MA with the Crew team. We had the Head of the Textile Regatta on Sunday. That went pretty well. It was the longest race of the year, 3.5 miles. As Margo likes to say, you just have to "gut it out." I was a bit nervous because I think I strained my lower back a bit when I fought Celio and it hurt to row and to bend over, but once the actual race started my adrenaline started pumping and the pain went away. We didn't win, but overall we did okay. One boat passed us and we passed one boat.

No comments:

Post a Comment