Monday, February 13, 2006

Running the Race

Yesterday I had another day of rest. Once again it was very nice. I really felt God speaking to me at each of the services I attended. I have to say I didn't really want to hear some of the stuff He was saying because He was asking me to go outside my nice Christianity comfort zone and step out in faith. At the 1230 protestant service during the first portion, which is singing, the songs were great songs, Rob was doing a great job leading, but it seemed like pulling peoples teeth to get them to worship God. The congreation just wasn't joining in. I felt God asking me to step out in faith and play along on the bongo drums, but I balked and made up the excuse that I had never played them before and didn't want to sound horrible. He wasn't buying my excuse, but I never did pick up the bongo drums. I was afraid to step out, to go outside my Christianity comfort zone and actually let God use me and lead me. I actually ended up getting down on my knees during the singing and
started praying for God help me surrender everything to Him and to trust Him to lead me when I am outside my comfort zone and have only Him to look to.

I think God was really speaking to me, because then the message during the service was on Joshua 3-4, about how God commanded the Israelites to build a memorial after crossing the Jordan. When they had crossed the Red Sea it signified their first coming to Christ, kind of like the first time someone accepts Jesus as their savior. They had the pillar of clouds or the pillar of fire leading them. Then, after wandering aroudn the desert for 40 years they were crossing the Jordan, but this time they was not a pillar of clouds or column of fire mentioned, but isntead the priests carrying the ark of the covenant ahead of them. They were crossing into the unknown, knowing that they were finally headed tot he promised land, but that there were most likely enemies they would encouter along the way. The crossing the Jordan marked the end of their wandering around in the desert and accepting God completely. The chaplain used it as an analogy as someone going from accepting Chris
t as their savior, to them accepting him as their Lord and Savior and turning everything over to Him. It seemed to fit what I had just experianced. I've asked God to help me turn everything over to Him before, but over time I've slowly reached back to try and gain control. I'm at that spot again where I need to hand everything over and be willing to go and do whatever God asks me no matter the cost. Perhaps I'll be playing bongo drums next Sunday.

On another topic, tomorrow is Valentines Day. Happy Valentines Day! While listenting to people tell about what Valentines day gifts they are sending to their wives and girlfriends back home it's easy to get caught up in feeling sorry for myself in being single, but there are two things that keep coming to mind. One is the Joe Bear episode I made last Valentines Day. As silly as it may be, it serves as a good reminder to me about what is really important. The other thing that keeps coming to mind last year, which is that the way to seek a spouse is to run towards Christ with every ounce of your being and then look to your right and left and see who can keep up. In the past I've found myself be in a relationship where the other person is moving at more of a slow walk, if that. I'm through slowing down for anyone or anything, I'm looking for someone who is also running towards Christ with everything they've got. I don't say spriting though because spriting implies you go
really fast, but it's only for a short time and eventually you either slow down a lot, or stop.

Enough of my somewhat deep thoughts.

One last note. I showed Christy the Joe Bear site and she wants to help out on a new episode. Now I just have to think of the story line and figure out how to ensure there are no OPSEC violations in making it.

No comments:

Post a Comment