Sunday, December 04, 2005

I'm Not His Wife!

Army lost :(

This afternoon I called up Chris to see if he was going to the Officers club to watch the game with a bunch of other West Point grads. I wanted to make sure I knew at least one person there. He said he was going and we ended up pulling into the parking lot of the o-club and walking into the place together. Right at the door was a sign-up for the Texas West Point Almuni club, but I noticed the man was only talking to Chris about it. When I asked for a form to fill out as well he said "oh, are you a grad too? " He then asked if Chris and I were married, dating, etc. Apparently he thought I was Chris' wife and not a grad myself. After clearing that up, Chris and I walked in and a table with some grads at it greeted Chris and I. They then started to ask Chris about when he graduated, what unit he's with now, etc., but didn't ask me any of those questions. After realizing that they too probably thought I was his wife I asked one of the female grads at the table what company she had been in at West Point. She and her friend looked a bit suprised and asked if I was a grad, and after telling them that I was indeed one as well they said that they had thought I was Chris' wife. There was one more incident where I was mistaken for being his wife and not a grad myself.

I would never have guessed that so many people would make that mistake, especially the number of female grads that made that mistake. I was wearing my West Point ring on my right hand, and neither Chris nor I are married or wear rings on our left hands. The only thing that made people think we were married was that we walked in at the same time. I'll be sure to never again walk into a West Point gathering with a guy without some clear indication that I myself am a grad.

3 comments:

  1. i saw the game :( the offense was finally clicking, but the defense just couldn't stop the option game...sadness :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you just wore a WP cadet uniform... ;)
    Ahem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sam, I agree. Army needs to learn how to tackle.

    Heidi, thanks for the excellent idea :Þ

    ReplyDelete