Sunday, February 02, 2014

Teething

Dear Ava,

If it is not one thing, it is another. You have passed some major milestones in your life since Daddy returned to Korea, but sleeping through the night is not one of them.

When he headed back to Korea you were beginning to show signs of rolling over. With you so close to rolling over I did not want you to sleep swaddled anymore, but you still preferred that snug feeling. I also wanted to move you out of the cradle and back into your crib.

It took a week of crying, but you finally are able to sleep in your crib unswaddled.

The transition happened just in time. On January 16, 7 days after Daddy left, you rolled from your back to your tummy for the first time. Then, on the 21st you rolled from your tummy to your back. You accomplished the rolling over milestone despite being miserable with a cold.

A few days after you rolled over we flew to Pennsylvania to visit relatives. The next 8 days were full of new people and new places. The trip ended with everyone catching a 24 hour stomach bug.

I had given up trying to get you to sleep through the night, or at least through sleep cycles without my help, until we arrived back home after that trip.

Now that we are back home the sleep training is being disrupted because you are showing signs of teething. As a result, you want to gnaw on everything, nurse a lot, be held almost constantly, and are not happy being placed in your crib to sleep.

To help with your teething pain, yesterday I gave you an apple slice to suck on and today you sucked on a large carrot stick. You seemed to enjoy both of them, though I only let you suck on them. I plan to start you on solid food very soon, but first I need to buy a high chair.

Even though you still aren't letting me get my much looked forward to long stretch of sleep at night, you sure are cute.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment