Monday, August 04, 2008

The Tree

A couple days ago after dinner two of my coworkers, Katy and Joe, and I decided to make a quick trip to to the PX. The sun was setting by that time and as we were walking the short distance from the DFAC to the PX and as we crossed the road I happened to look towards the south perimeter of the FOB. Off in the distance I noticed what looked to be the outline of a tree that was significantly taller than the walls surrounding the FOB. The FOB isn't very large (a mile in length at it's longest point, and significantly less in most areas) and so I don't know why I hadn't noticed this tree before, but it could be due to the fact that usually it's so bright out during the day that I end up looking down at the ground instead of up at my surroundings.  In any case, I pointed the tree out to Katy and Joe and we all stopped for a minute trying to figure out if it was actually a tree or just smoke from some smoke stacks.  Eventually we concluded it was in fact a tree, and actually a normal looking tree at that.  There are a few trees on the FOB, but as Katy pointed out, they look like Dr Seuss trees.  Other than that, vegetation on the FOB is quite scarce and the sight of a relatively normal looking tree off in the distance was rather refreshing.  I looked for the tree again today in order to confirm that it is actually a tree and not smoke and it was still standing there. 

1 comment:

  1. im suprised that tree hasnt been burnt to the ground!

    ReplyDelete