Friday, January 04, 2008

Infomercial Time

I am going to risk sounding like an infomercial right now because I feel the need to share about how I am very impressed by the Space Bag. The Space Bag is a storage bag that looks similar to a huge ziploc bag, but instead of only having a seal at the top, it also has a one-way valve that fits a vacuum cleaner hose so that you can vacuum out all the air in the bag and thereby significantly compress whatever you put into the bag.

I must admit that I'd seen products similar to Space Bag on TV before and laughed at them, but then saw the product at the store a couple weeks ago and figured that since I am doing a lot of packing where maximizing the usage of all available space is essential I should give them a try. So far I have packed my C Bag, which is the duffel bag that will be packed in the milvan and which I will not see again until I am in Iraq. Normally I struggle to fit everything on the packing list, but with the use of a couple Space Bags I was able to pack, in addition to almost everything else on the packing list for that bag, an extra pair of ACUs, a feather pillow, a down comforter/throw, a set of sheets and extra pillow cases, my JLIST (think big and bulky pants and jacket), and my wet weather boots, as well as some extra t-shirts, socks, and underwear.

I hope to use the Space Bag when packing my other two duffel bags, but will not be able to add as much additional stuff. When we get to Kuwait I will most likely be breaking the vacuum seals on a couple of the bags in order to get to my clothes and things necessary for everyday life. There will not be a vacuum cleaner handy when it comes to repack the bags to head up to Iraq and so my originally nicely compressed stuff will puff out to all manner of sizes.

This evening I also packed my small tough box that will go in the milvan. The violin I bought in Iraq last year and Joe Bear will both be making the trip back over this year.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

2 comments:

  1. if there's a one-way valve on the bag, perhaps you could just jump on the bag and force the air out just as well...

    i usually use stuffsacks (from the boy scout days), but this looks intriguing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No weight limit, hmmm? I used the lo-tech version of the Space Bag (just squeeze out the air by sitting/stomping) last year to pack for Rome but didn't this year because there's no point when weight is the real limitation. Hope it works out for Mom and Dad to take some stuff back for me and Kevin this year...

    ReplyDelete