Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Fort Leavenworth

Thanks to some help from my friendly neighbor and fellow 1BCT'er I now have a working LAN connection in my room. So far I've greatly enjoyed my time here at Fort Leavenworth. Although class the past two days has gone a couple hours into the afternoon, we've been told that's not normally the case and that most of the time we'll be done by noon and then have the afternoon for studying and such. Not only do I feel like I am getting a great workout for my mind and being intellectually stimulated here, I'm also getting by body back in shape. Even with class going into the afternoon, we still get out incredibly early and so I've been able to get in a good run and workout at the gym before heading back to my room to eat dinner and study.

Fort Leavenworth is so much more beautiful than Fort Hood. Yesterday I went for a run around the post and saw signs in many of the front yards of the houses stating the year when the house was built. Most of them were built in the late 1800s or early 1900s. One more great thing is that there is supposedly a ski hill nearby that has days where active duty military can ski or snowboard for only $5. Some of the other people in the course and myself will most likely go check that place out later this week.

To sum it up, the past three days have been almost like a vacation or retreat. Though I'm sure my mind will get a good a workout and as a result I'll be quite mentally exhausted at times, right now I am really enjoying the course and being at Fort Leavenworth for the next couple of weeks.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to my new duty station. FT Leavenworth is a great place. If you have time give me a call. 254-702-7749.

    MAJ Gordon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kansas!... the land of "ah"s...

    Welcome to my home state, Kate. I'm glad you like it. There's some neat stuff there. But I was completely surprised by the ski hill! Sure, the state can get plenty of snow, just not many hills... Guess that's why it's $5.
    Anyway, you're one of the first out-of-staters I remember to say that Kansas was beautiful (though you said it, I admit, in a relative sense). Usually, people only recognize that after living there for a number of years. It's an acquired taste, like moldy wine bottles.
    Can't beat the sunsets, though.

    Kevin Keiser

    ReplyDelete