Sunday, July 13, 2003

Once again I'm back home for 6 days. Buckner was an awesome experiance. I don't think I could've asked for a better detail. The cadre in my platoon were great, my squad was fantastic, and the training was excellent. I learned a lot and grew a lot over the past month. Being a squad leader was challenging to say the least, but the rewards make it all worth it. Seeing my squad work together, cheer each other on, tough it out, and push themselves to the limit more than made up for the lack of sleep and stress level I had to deal with. The best times were in fact the times when I had only gotten 2 hours of sleep or less that night and was running around trying to work for my squad. It was then that I felt I was actually doing something and making a difference. I'd change a few things if I could go back and do it over again, but that just shows me that I've taken away some learning points for the future. It's nice to have a break, but I also wish I could see how my squad fares with second detail. I know that they are going to improve even more and really excell this detail. Right now they may not be looking forward to infantry week, but I believe they'll come out of it with a really positive attitude and more cohesion. Crehan, Dahman, Ehlers, Fazio, Friters, Hughes, Klingensmith, McDonald, Obringer, Robinson, and White...thanks. You guys are great.

No comments:

Post a Comment