Wednesday, April 02, 2008

28 March 08

Last night around 2300 I was going outside to brush my teeth and just as I stepped outside I heard a whistling overhead and then a small boom. Right after the boom a guy came running out of the darkness yelling "ROCKET!" as he ran past me inside. Since he was running I followed him running inside. There was one more faint boom after the that, but it turns out that the rockets overshot the FOB by a good distance so we weren't in any danger.

Just now I was walking from the TOC to the company command post (CP) via a shortcut across the helipad. The route is more dangerous because there aren't as many places to seek shelter and it's a wide open area, but the route does shave off a good bit distance and time. When I was about 2/3 of the way to the CP there was a huge explosion that made me jump and left me trying to figure out where I could seek shelter. A second later the PA system announced that it was controlled detonation. I think the controlled det was very nearby because I could seek black smoke rising right over the FOB perimeter wall nearby to were I was standing.

Even though it was a controlled det it shook me up a bit because for a moment I didn't know if it was one or not and all I knew was that I was out in the open unprotected with the explosion being very close. It's now time to put all of my gear back on. I'm still hoping each day that I'll find out that we won't have to wear all of our gear anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment