Wednesday, April 02, 2008

24 March 08

This time around in Iraq is a lot different than last tour. In the days leading up to my arrival in country the forward operating base (FOB) had received multiple rounds of indirect fire (IDF), but only minor damage to buildings. The day I arrived, 21 March, I was joking with WO1 W. after dinner about how there hadn't been any IDF that day because the Anti-Coalition Forces (ACF) knew I was on the FOB. Then, not even five minutes later, at least 10 rounds of IDF came in. When the first round hit Mr. W and I looked at each other wondering if it was incoming or outgoing. We decided it must be outgoing because the sirens hadn't sounded, but right then the siren sounded and more rounds started coming in. Mr. W and I were right by our living quarters and ran inside the warehouse when the rounds started hitting. That's the last time I'll joke about an IDF attack not occurring on my account. One Soldier was killed and four were severely wounded in that attack.

Ever since that day we've had to wear full battle rattle every time we step outside or are in a building that is not a hardened structure during a 12-hour period of the day. We also are no longer allowed to eat lunch or dinner in the dining facility (DFAC) and instead have to get carryout boxes. While writing this we just had another IDF attack, so I'm guessing we'll be in full battle rattle for a few more days.

Last night I was in the TOC when the battle major yelled over for the UAV to fly to the site of an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) strike. It was dark out and so the UAV was using the infrared camera and I could tell that the IED strike site was extremely hot, but didn't think to much of it while I was watching the screen besides to wonder why it appeared so hot. I found out in the morning that what I saw the night before was a Bradley on fire. Four Soldiers inside burned to death and a fifth one was severely burned and might not survive. I was seeing Soldiers die and didn't even know it. CNN reported the IED strike because the death of those four Soldiers pushed the OIF death toll above 4,000.

Is it normal that I feel almost no emotion when I write all of this? The only emotions I do feel are those pertaining to wondering if I should feel anything because I just talked about five Soldiers dying.

No comments:

Post a Comment