Friday, July 07, 2006

Mail = Milk ... I hope

The past couple of afternoons I’ve come back from lunch and SSG D and SPC L have asked me if we’ll get mail that day.  Since there’s been no milk at the DFAC at lunch I told them that there wouldn’t be any mail, but today there was still no milk at lunch and we got mail later in the afternoon. Thanks for the package Mom J  Everyone loves the rice crispy treats you made.  I’m saving the brownies for tomorrow. 

 

It sounds a bit weird, but I think there is a correlation between the availability of milk and the mail delivery.  We hadn’t had mail delivered to Camp Taji for almost a week until today and I also noticed that the DFAC’s been out of milk, juice, fresh fruit, and some other food items for a few days.  Surprisingly, there was still lettuce at the salad buffet at lunch.  The disappearance of lettuce is usually the first indicator that the supply convoy wasn’t able to make it here for whatever reason.  My hypothesis is that if the supply convoy wasn’t able to reach Camp Taji, the mail delivery convoy (or whatever method is used to bring mail here) wasn’t able to make it either.  Therefore, no milk =  no mail, and vice versa.  Perhaps I’ll pop my head in at dinner to see if my hypothesis is correct. 

 

I’ve stopped going to dinner at the DFAC and instead taken up eating crackers and peanut butter after the afternoon briefing.  I snack a lot during the day, but when I go to the DFAC for dinner I still eat my normal amount of food even though I don’t need to eat that much.  Plus, I’ve started working out in the evenings because I’ve found I’m in a better mood and more awake during the day when I sleep in later instead of getting up between 4:30-5am to work out.  If I eat dinner in the DFAC it cuts into my evening work out time since I usually eat dinner after 7pm.  The downside of working out in the evening instead of the morning is that it’s hotter outside, but I’m slowly adjusting to the heat.  At least it’s not humid.

 

Happy Birthday tomorrow Heidi J

 

 

 

 

 

 

3 comments:

  1. Milk -> Mail. Nice correlation for someone in your line of work. Test hypothesis.

    Much Love,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the birthday wishes - and the call made my day complete. Hope you had a happy my-birthday-day, too!

    Love you,
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  3. as long as you're getting enough to eat, i'm sure it's not a problem :) (says the coxswain who loses weight masochistically!) take care!

    ReplyDelete