Thursday, September 07, 2006

Why I Did Poorly in Enlish Classes

I really do not feel like writing at the moment.  I know I wrote that but a moment ago, but when I wrote that first sentence a question popped into my mind.  Do I over-use and miss-use the word “really”?  And if so, is it common problem found in the American use of the English language?  To figure out the answer, or at least hopefully figure out the answer, I am going to use the one of the great technological assets of the 21st century…Google.  

My search on Google, titled “define: really,” lead me to the highly reputable (sarcasm) source of Google definitions: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&defl=en&q=define:really&sa=X&oi=glossary_definition&ct=title

It was at this site that I learned my usage of the word “really,” while not grammatically incorrect, is to be avoided since I used it as a vague intensifier. I now feel more educated; however, I am also beginning to question my grammar and usage of a long list of words in this entry. 

I have opened a can of worms on myself.  To being with, I have written in passive voice, as shown in this very sentence. 

Is my usage of the word “very” in the previous sentence yet another attempt by myself to use a vague intensifier?  What about my comma usage?  Should that be “use” or “usage”?  Should the quotations go before or after the question mark? 

Oh dear, this is getting out of control.  Time to change subjects. 

Yes, the previous sentence is not a sentence at all, but a sentence fragment.  Poor grammar, I know.

So much for changing subjects.  

That was another sentence fragment.

I promise, this time I will change subjects. 

On a side note, I almost used the word “really” in the above sentence, but edited out before I wrote the sentence.

Does that constitute a new subject?  I hope so, but it most likely does not.

 

_______________Official Change Of Subject Line________________

 

Throughout the day I often find myself running into situations where I am on one topic and it leads to a new question and/or train of thought, and before I know it I have completely digressed from my original subject of interest of study.  My total digression most often occurs when I am sitting at the computer because I have the ability to immediately gratify my desire for insight into whatever subject or topic arises by researching it on the internet.  If I do not happen to have a computer easily accessible when a questions arises, then I more often than not have my interest peaked for a moment but completely forget about whatever it was before I am able to research the question or topic.  This week I started writing down key words in a little notebook I carry around so that I can go back at a later time to find the more information on the topic. 

            A few of the reminder notes I jotted down were “Dorcas,” “Plass other writings,” “butterfly metamorphosis,” and “Zoroastrians.”

 Dorcas arose from an email one of my friends sent me where she began the email, “Hey Dorko.”  Her greeting reminded me of a similar name that one of my sisters calls me; that being Dorkiss.  I then remembered that in the Bible there is a woman named Dorcas, which led to me wondering what the name Dorcas means.  It turns out that Dorcas is Greek for gazelle. 

I would go into the significance of all of the other words and how they ended up being jotted down in my notebook, but that discussion would take far too long and be quite boring.  My head is beginning to hurt from thinking to much and too hard about something that, in the grand scheme of things, is of no importance whatsoever, and so I am going to step outside for a breath of fresh air. 

 

3 comments:

  1. Shibidie,

    You write beautifully and when you want to amusingly. Don't worry about it.

    An excellent and compact reference book though, is Strunk's "Elements of Style." I believe the book was originally written in 1918. Its still very relevant. They issued the book to all new-hires when I worked in Washington.

    I do agree with your suggestion that having the computer as a resource provides incredible opportunities for learning and (I'll add) procrastination. I'm pretty big on both of those activities, and I wish I had access to computers when I was younger!

    By the way, I think I remember that Strunk says always use "use" and claims that usage is ostentatious.

    And in your current entry, your interest may have "peaked" but it was probably "piqued." The word "pique" is worth looking up for it's varied use (usage).

    I continue to be impressed that you can think about running/workouts/violin/baking and other outside activities with the heavy work-load and high temperatures! When I was on the ships I used to work the long days and then collapse.

    Hope all is well. Be safe.

    Uncle Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS: I actually looked at Strunk...he says use "use" instead of "utilize" not "usage." Sorry.

    Uncle Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. funny, i just met someone on sunday whose middle name was dorcas. she is chinese, born in hong kong, and has almost no business having a greek middle name :P you probably also found out that dorcas is related to tabitha, although i cannot fathom the etymological connection.

    the local newspaper had an article about declining zoroastrian populations worldwide the other day. maybe it was an AP wire release everyone picked up on. there was a picture of zoroastrian priests performing a ritual burning--it looked like a bunch of surgeons in smocks and masks around a big legged pot in a white-tiled surgical room--so very odd.

    the instant gratification part of me that researches my interest of the moment on google probably causes a great deal of "wasted" time during the day :)

    Texas-Ohio St. tomorrow! (football) #2 vs. #1!

    ReplyDelete